Orangetheory Fitness is one of the fastest growing fitness chains in the country. If you’ve seen a group of people wearing orange walking around a mall, you’ve probably seen Orange Theory in action.
So, have you ever wondered what it’s all about? Does it really work? How many classes do you need to take before you see results? Here’s what you need to know about the fitness chain.
What is Orangetheory Fitness?
Orangetheory Fitness combines high intensity interval training (HIIT) with traditional cardiovascular exercise. HIIT involves alternating between short periods of high intensity exercise and recovery time, while steady state cardio involves increasing the heart rate over a longer period of time.
Research suggests that HIIT may be more effective than steady-state cardio when it comes to fat loss, but Orangetheory uses both approaches to reap better overall fitness benefits.
Orange Theory fitness trainer Eli Ingram says that the class is a well-rounded full-body workout, as ‘it involves either endurance, strength or power exercises within your one-hour workout. Through the different templates we use, no two workouts are ever the same.”
When a workout varies from day to day, you keep your muscles guessing and prevent burnout and boredom with your exercise routine.
What are the different “zones” in Orangetheory Fitness Class?
These Orangetheory Fitness classes are based on a theory called excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), which is a boost in metabolism for up to 24 hours after high-intensity exercise. Each zone correlates to a percentage of your maximum heart rate.
- The Gray zone is light activity that feels comfortable and not strenuous.
- The Blue Zone is a warm-up activity, and you should be able to perform it for up to 20 minutes without being completely out of breath.
- Green Zone is known as your “base rate”.
- The Orange Zone (84–91% MHR) is the “orange effect” and involves high-intensity exercise.
- Red Zone (92–100% MHR) is your overall effort.
What is it like to take an Orange Theory class?
Ingram divides the hour-long class into thirds: time spent on the treadmill, rowing machine and the floor.
1) At Orangetheory, a treadmill is a popular machine. It helps simulate outdoor exercise and can give you an athletic edge, Ingram says. By changing the speed or incline of the machine, you can get more out of your workout.
2) Rowing is a full body workout that can mimic the natural rowing technique used in water. The rowing machine focuses on different energy systems of the body, depending on how long, fast and far you row.
3) Floor exercises are part of the strength training portion of the class. A trainer demonstrates each exercise using TRX straps, benches, free weights and mini bands. Students then do as many sets and reps as they want.
Should You Try Orangetheory Fitness Class?
The workout’s intensity is determined by your heart rate zones, making it accessible to all fitness levels. The studio offers many modifications, and the zones are unique to you, based on your height and weight, among other factors.
Orangetheory’s daily workouts are one of the reasons many members say they stick with the workout program. Trainers can also focus on personalizing each member’s workout, instead of demonstrating every exercise or explaining every movement.
Orangetheory’s customization options make it a great exercise choice for many. However, before embarking on a rigorous program, it is important to consult a doctor.
If you’re looking for a workout that’s intense and convenient, Orangetheory Fitness might be the way to go.
You can work at your own level and increase your intensity as you build endurance and lose weight. Another great thing about Orangetheory Fitness is the emphasis on science in its workout, which backs up its claims of faster results.
Orangetheory Fitness is a promising and reasonably priced way to achieve your fitness goals. While a studio may not yet be in your city, there are plenty of ways to try the workout at home or on vacation. If you can get past some of its drawbacks, you’ll enjoy a variety of benefits that come with becoming an orange member.
fbPixelFired = true; !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s)if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments);if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n; n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0';n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e);s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script',' fbq('init', '952063904834769'); fbq('track', "PageView"); fbq('track', 'ViewContent');